Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

A is for Authors

I thought I would share some of my favorite authors here!  This is a book I just finished reading, Maeve Binchy wrote about her beloved Ireland. She was a wonderful storyteller. She could weave all the characters together. I have several of her books and was saddened when she passed away way too soon in July 2012.
The very first Amy Tang book I read was "The Joy Luck Club". Amy writes about her culture and the land her ancestors came from, China. She ties in the Chinese American experience beautifully. I like the fact that she writes about the relationships between mothers and their daughters. I gave my daughter Noelle an Amy Tan book for Mother's Day! We are both avid readers.

I have read every book this terrific author has written. The wedding is a favorite. Nicholas Sparks writes stories that always touch my heart. He is a master storyteller and he hails from North Carolina and ties his heritage into his books.
Another North Carolina native, Jan Karon writes stories that draw you into the lives of the characters and the town where they live. She is a master at holding my attention in each one of her books. Her books always make me want to read another one. I am a huge fan.
Debbie Macomber is a native of Yakima, Washington. She writes about the Northwest where she resides. I have enjoyed her books and last year Hallmark Channel created a series with the Cedar Cove books written by Debbie Macomber. Although I enjoy stories I was disappointed in some of the story lines the television directors used as well as the types of characters they portrayed. I think the original book versions are premier and often too many important characters or places are changed to accommodate a broader audience and the stories lose some of their flavor.
Harper Lee was born in Alabama. When I first began blogging I met a lady who lives in Harper Lee's hometown and she told me some wonderful stories. I have a few postcards Beryl sent me from their hometown. The 1960 Pulitzer Prize winning book "To Kill a Mockingbird" deals with racism and it is my all time favorite book. I am sure I have gone through half a dozen copies of this book and truly love it.
My second favorite book ever written. Pearl S. Buck grew up in China. She was the daughter of missionaries in China. Her writing style impressed me at a very young age and I have worn out two copies of this beautiful book. My late Uncle Louie was a history buff and he knew his Colorado history well. But he also read a variety of books. While his wife, my Auntie Ang read romance novels, something I never was terribly interested in, he read more "meaty" books. He lent me his copy of "The Good Earth" while I was in high school and I can remember seeing it in his barrister case in their living room. It holds many good memories for me.

 Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles W. Eliot

I hope you visit Ms. Jenny and everyone who participates in Alphabe Thursday.  I also hope you will share your favorite authors with me here today, and please enjoy a wonderful end to your week and a terrific weekend.









11 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

A wonderful collection. Thank you for sharing so many. I am a big Jan Karon fan and have read several of her books but not this one.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

You know I love to read also. Lots of great authors out there!!!

Jim said...

Nice books, Anne. Nice '"A" for Authors' post too.
I've read "To Kill a Mocking Bird" (many of us have, I suppose).
Mrs. Jim has read "The Wedding" but my 'wedding book' was "The Wedding Day Murder" by Leslie Mier. Jim's "Wedding Day Murder" spine/book title poem. She has written a lot of the books in her series.
..

carol l mckenna said...

Some great books here ~ Great post for 'A' ~

Happy Weekend coming to you,
artmusedog and carol

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

I like your review of favorite books. Maybe you would like to join me on my other blog, Reading Authors?

New follower.

~Naila Moon
http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2015/05/introducing-alphabe-thursday-with.html

Jenny said...

Anne! One of my favorite A's.

I love reading. I haven't read this Jan Karon one and I'm going to see if I can get it on the kindle.

I love finding out about new books. It's like a gift every day!

Thanks for all your kindness during this rough year! I appreciate you very much.

A+

Intense Guy said...

The only one I've ever read (and only a small part of at that) is Harper Lee!

Pearl S. Buck lived down the road from me. You can visit her house.

Lux G. said...

I super love To Kill A Mockingbird. :)

Leovi said...

Yes, it seems a great tribute to the authors, I love books!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, Happy Memorial Day Weekend to you and yours also. Let's never forgot those who died for our freedoms... God Bless them ALL.

Great group of books listed today. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry I haven't been around much. George and I have a couple of new online programs (one is a Food Journal and one a fitness/exercise program) --so we are VERY busy increasing our exercise and getting healthier... That's my excuse and I'm sticking' with it... ha ha

Thanks for all of your nice comments on my blog posts.
Hugs,
Betsy

Sarah said...

Great list of books. You and I like many of the same authors.