Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Strong Willed Women and More

My days are random. Sometimes I think I am going to accomplish certain things and other things happen. I have neglected my blog and I do not like that feeling. So I am going to start off by celebrating women in my life and also women who I admire.

My grandmother was my hero and the best friend any one could ever imagine having. She raised her children without complaining after the untimely loss of her husband and youngest son. I am the only grandchild shown in this photo, the other kids are her great grands. She loved each one of us and she kept bags of Kraft original butter mints in her cabinet to share with us when we visited. She also had a bottle of rock n rye in that cabinet. I was always intrigued by the fruit slices that floated inside that unopened liquor bottle. Let me celebrate my grandmother here along with other women who I love and or admire.

Harrison and I were watching the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse one morning. A commercial came on with Danica Patrick. He looked up at her and said "Vroom Vroom". I said, "Do you know who she is?" He looked at me and said "Yes".  I said "do you like her?". Again he answered "Yes". I said, "is it because she drives cars fast?" He said, " Yesssss, Vroom Vroom" I have loved car racing since I was a kid and he does too. But pretty girls like Danica didn't race in the Indy 500 or NASCAR back then.

My maternal grandfather died when my mother was 13 years old so I never knew him, only wonderful stories I heard about him. This is a photo of his mother Mrs. Maiji (Mary) Virant-Steblay and three sisters. The youngest sister is Teresa Steblay Percic.  On the left is Mrs. Margaret Steblay Teckvee and on the other side is Mrs. Francesca Steblay-Marolt. I knew Mrs. Marolt and I knew many stories about my mother's aunt Mrs. Teckavee and her daughters. Celebrating all these women for their strength and courage.

My childhood hero Annie Oakley. She was a strong willed incredible woman and she never received the respect men who were sharpshooters received. She was every bit as good as they were. I celebrate this woman of the Wild West Days.

My parents were goodness and faithful and kind. They adored each other and although my father passed away too soon my mother never lost her passion for him and she often spoke of joining him in his heavenly home. My mom was a terrific baseball player. She was a bowler and she could talk with anyone, anywhere. I truly celebrate my mother everyday I am still here.

My mom admired Babe Didrikson Zaharis. Although she was an accomplished golfer she was also a superb athlete in basketball, baseball and track and field. I am celebrating her too.

Stop by Beverly's and celebrate Happy Pink Saturday. Look at this cute bright pink sofa peeking from this scripture.

This little one is telling his daddy, no thank you, I do not wish to go to bed. It may be late but I am wide awake. One of these days he will get his days and nights straight. Tonight might not be a good night to do that. Most of us have to Spring forward one hour. I do not like losing an extra hour in my day. I need all the help I can get.

Pray for this handsome grandson. Even tiny babies need prayer.

I tried to link this to Pink Saturday and comments will not appear at this second blog of mine. So I am going to make it private and use it to journal. I am tired of fighting blogger and google to get my comments to stay published once they are left. I hope you all have a beautiful SONday.

Check your clocks, the time change is here.
 

3 comments:

Sandee said...

I can think of a handful of women that have enriched my life too. What a lovely post.

Have a fabulous day, my friend. ♥♥♥

Buttercup said...

Of course my mother is top of the list for me. I add my grandmothers, both immigrants who went through very tough times, and both widowed in their early 60s. My paternal grandmother lost almost all of her family in Poland during the war. She was the most uncomplaining person I've ever known. I'm going to add my dear blog friends to the list. I'm so grateful for the woman who have come into my life around the world via blogging. Here's to you, dear Anne!

Edna B said...

Such beautiful photos and memories. There are a lot of special women in my family too. We are so blessed. It's good to see you back blogging. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.