Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

"B" is for Baseball

I love baseball. Everything single thing I know about the game I learned from my late father. He was an incredible person. He played in a semi pro league long before I was dreamed of and he was a catcher.
A truthful statement! I really love this baseball image.
This is not the most fantastic photo but I could pick my dad (4th man in on your right). His older brother, my Uncle "Moon" (Rudy) is the first gentleman on your right side as he was the manager. These guys played baseball for a local brewing company, Walters. It was quite the place in it's heyday. My dad and his brother were steelworkers. My dad spent 47 years at the Colorado Fuel and Iron Corporation. He retired at age 62 as a head roller in the Rail Mill.

My mom was a baseball fanatic too. She played with other gals locally but WWII women had pro teams while the men went off to war. The Rockford Peaches were from Rockford, Illinois. I know many women who could play as well well as the guys.
Ah wise words from a wise baseball man Casey Stengel. My dad was the catcher so of course, I love watching a great catcher call those pitches!

My dad had an autographed ball signed by the Great Babe Ruth.

I thought I would add a fun fact for you here.
One of my favorite New York Yankee players, Derek Jeter. Aw....baseball isn't the same without him as he retired last year.
Although Warren Spahn was a Milwaukee Brewer he was a great pitcher. Check out his form. He always said "Hitting is timing, pitching is upsetting timing." Plus he was left handed and you can't beat greatness! (Wink wink)
Thurman Munson was a favorite Yankee player. He perished in a plane crash way too soon but he was an amazing catcher. More than that, he just wanted to be a good dad to his kids and a devoted husband to his wife. Forever in my heart.

Ah...Joltin' Joe DiMaggio the great Yankee 'Clipper'! He loved the game with a passion we don't see today.

Rich "The Goose" Gossage grew up in Colorado Springs, Colorado. He was a first class closer, a relief pitcher. He attended Wasson High School so as a teen I had the opportunity to see him play  before he became famous. His only baseball regret, that his mom did not live to see him inducted into the Hall of Fame.
Satchel Paige played with the St. Louis Browns. He was ahead of the times and played the game with heart. He is quoted as saying "Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter, "

My two favorite quotes as I hope you will visit Ms. Jenny and all the "B" Alphabe Thursday folks! I guess you knew I was choosing "baseball":





13 comments:

SarahBeth said...

Fabulous photos of some fantastic ball players and great memories of your dad! How great to have a ball signed by Babe Ruth... is it still in your family? Excuse me, phamily :)

LV said...

I never cared for baseball. They play to slow and fool around too much. Of the sports, I like football and golf.

Intense Guy said...

I love the photos! Especially of your family and the old-timers!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious reply of your dad to tearing up the grass:) This post is a great tribute to both of your parents!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

A fun post, Anne. I used to be a pretty good catcher when I was in high school. :-)
The View from the Top of the Ladder

Theresa said...

What a wonderful post! I LOVE Baseball too and although our Braves are not doing too good this year, I still watch! Loved seeing all of these pictures from years gone by! Have a blessed day dear Anne, HUGS!

carol l mckenna said...

Great vintage photos and lovely tribute to your Dad and baseball ~ Perfect for B!

Happy Weekend to you,
artmusedog and carol

Betty said...

My Dad loved baseball too. When he was in Boy Scouts they each picked a team to root for. He told me he picked the Chicago White Sox because there weren't many teams left when they got to him. I guess he was about 12 years old at the time. The White Sox never had a more devoted fan outside the city of Chicago or the state of Illinois. As a kid I remember him sitting in the hot garage listening to baseball on the car radio. He had discovered that the car radio could pick up the Baltimore station so when they played Baltimore he could listen to the games. He got to see them play in person once in a while when they played the Yankees in NYC. He watched on TV when they played the Yankees too, but he mostly followed them in the newspaper. That's how it was done back then. When he moved here I signed up for the White Sox games online and would bring him over to watch on the computer. He was in his late 80's and for the first time was able to watch most of their games. You know...you've given me an idea for what I can write about next week! Thanks.

Denise @ secondtimearoundfinds said...

I enjoyed your tribute to baseball.
It's nice to hear when a family is so involved in something.
Enjoyed my visit.
Have a great week.
Denise

Leovi said...

Excellent picture of his father in Spain baseball is unknown !

Edna B said...

I just love your vintage baseball photos, and the photos of your family. As a kid, my brother and I loved sports, and played on every team that would have us. We played baseball, softball, football, hockey, you name it. This was a way of life for kids in my hay day.

I still love baseball, and the Red Sox are my team. Win or lose, I'm behind them. Today, my youngest grandson is a fabulous baseball player, and one great grandson is also a super baseball player. I am so very blessed.

You have a wonderful day. Hugs, Edna B.

Jenny said...

A game so fine it's played on diamonds! Love that quote!

This was such a bountiful post about baseball!

I always enjoy your beautiful insights!

Thanks for linking to the letter B.

A+

Sarah said...

Late getting around to visit. Your baseball post is excellent. Love the quote about raising boys. I'm going to remember this one. Great!