Pages

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Memorial Day Remembered






 

The price of freedom is not free. Many brave men and women gave their lives so we may continue to live in a free nation. I am sharing a few lists of lives lost in many wars.
Let's remember those who gave their all for us. My Tata Rose was blessed to have her husband John return from WWI. My uncles, Edward "Munson" Trontel, Thomas P. Binder  and my hubby's uncle, Bud, Duane and Virgil Blackwell  all returned from WWII.  My grandmother's cousin Frances Marijanovic lost her only son Bruce in WWII,  My late father-in-law Carl T. Robinson U.S. Navy WWII . My sisters former husband and the father of my two nieces Karla and Holly, Robert L. Hoffert returned from Vietnam as well as my cousin Joanne's former husband and the father of her two daughters, Kristi and Laura "Sissy" Hoskins returned. Thank you Jesse Hoskins for your service. R.I.P. to all who never returned including James Turner, the only son of my mom's cousin Hedwig Marold Turner. He perished in Vietnam.Thank you to my hubby's cousin, Carolynn who left her husband and young children back home to serve in Desert Storm.  she is a registered nurse. My friends Kathleen P. O'Gane ,her sister Marlene and their late brother Michael and Joseph Brown all served in the U.S. Navy who served. Joseph served i Vietnam and Desert Storm.
The words to a popular song during the Vietnam War. Sadly the Staff Sergeant Barry Sadler, who wrote and performed this song, ended up in a psychiatric hospital and later committed suicide. we never know the true horrors of war or what these brave men and women experienced.

2 comments:

Sandee said...

This is indeed a day of remembrance. I will never forget those that gave their all.

Have a blessed Memorial Day. Big hug. ♥♥♥

Mevely317 said...

Your loved ones are so fortunate (how) you've kept their memories alive, Anne!

The statistics on this tombstone are sobering, indeed. As a child of the 60's, I was so surprised - and saddened to learn Barry Sadler was no longer among us. How I loved that song, Green Beret. I can still recall every word!