Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

"D" is for December


December is a busy month in my phamily. Of course, it is the time we celebrate the birth of Our Lord. In my phamily, as a child, and in my own phamily, He has always taken center stage. I am appalled and disgusted that all around this "Holiday" garbage resounds!  I won't slight Christ because whoever thinks it is politically incorrect. I have always told my own children Christ was the most politically incorrect person who walked this earth. Be proud to know him! Too many Christians like to sit back and remain quiet. Speak out, speak up and make your voice heard. Before I  continue my December thoughts, I noticed that four presidents, one current and three former attended the funeral of Nelson Mandela in South Africa. The country announced "A National Day of Prayer". Something our own government frowns upon yet there they were .  

2 Corinthians 10:5

English Standard Version (ESV)
We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,

I am a December (3) baby. My first born child and oldest daughter is a December baby(13). We are in good company with my niece Holly (16), my nephew Brian (24) and of course, my daughter's hubby and my son-in-law Roger (13). Noelle and Roger share December 13th as their dual birthday! Finally Sarah, Holly's daughter (31). Can't forget my twin Julie Tucker Wolek (Dec 3)

I am not a traditional December birthday girl! I have always liked anything that was not poinsettias and trimmed with red and green and Santa Claus! I do love a Snowman though. I am sharing some fun facts about December here:

1. The birthstone of December is turquoise.
2. Zodiac signs for December are Sagittarius (November 22 - December 21) and Capricorn (December 22 - January 19).
3. The birth flower of December is the narcissus.
4. World's AIDS Day is celebrated on December 1st.
5. December 3 - International Day of the Disabled Person
6. Universal Human Rights Month
7. National Read a New Book Month
8. In December, Nobel Prizes are awarded.
9. On December 4, 1791, The Observer newspaper (the first Sunday newspaper) was first published in Britain.
10. Christmas Day is celebrated on December 25th.
11. On December 7, 1941, The United States Naval Base at Pearl Harbor was attacked by Japanese planes which killed more than 2,300 Americans.
12. On December 20, 1803, the Louisiana Purchase was completed.
13. Kwanzaa is celebrated on December 26 - January 1 every year.
14. National Stress Free Family Holiday Month
15. December 27th is National Chocolate Day
16. On December 29, 1862, the bowling bowl was invented.
17. Poinsettia Day is on December 12th.
18. On December 3, 1967, the first heart transplant was completed.
19. On December 17, 1903, the Wright Brothers made their first flight.
20. On December 14, 1791, the Bill of Rights was passed.

Look at number 17.! I posted my photo of my poinsettia the office staff gave me for my birthday. Today is December 12th! My friend Dr. T has a son, Kevin who shares December as his birthday and today is his day!


Narcissus , the December flower.
The birthstone is Turquoise although Blue Topaz is also a December birthstone.

I hope you will join Ms. Jenny and the Alphabe Thursday crowd .

"December's wintry breath is already clouding the pond, frosting the pane, obscuring summers memory..." John Geddes

Don't forget my giveaway through December 14th. Just comment and follow me. Easy peasy!

Please pray for Nick as he heads home tomorrow evening. We have a big phamily celebration at a local Mexican restaurant to celebrate his return along with Noelle and Roger's birthday!

 








5 comments:

Jen said...

I am a December baby too. I love the fun facts. Thanks for sharing!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You are soooooo sweet!! xoxoxo :) I actually have never liked having a Dec. birthday ... too many peeps buy me Christmas type gifts for my birthday! LOL!!!!

The Old Parsonage said...

Morning My Friend

Happy Belated birthday! A twin? How cool!! And Happy birthday to everyone else that you mentioned.

Have a wonderful time while you are all together again!!

Merry Christmas!!

Leann

Birgit said...

Happy belated Birthday, Anne!!! :)

Hugs,
Birgit

Jenny said...

December is full of delightful days...

I never knew a lot of those facts!

Thanks for linking to the letter "D" .

A++