Pages

Friday, November 11, 2016

A Day of Honoring Our Military

My maternal grandmother's cousin, Frances Marijanovic and her only son Bruce Pavlin, US Navy WWII. Unlike my late father-in-law Carl Thomas Robinson, US Navy WWII, Bruce did not return from the war. My husband's great-grandfather Avery Allen Robinson, an Irish immigrant from Ulster Providence Ireland was also a US Navy man. My late mother-in-law had a lovely photo of Grandpa Carl and one of his father and I wish I Had a copy of those photos in their Navy blue dress uniforms.
My Mom's baby sister Jo and her new hubby Thomas P. Binder, US Army Air Corp. , WWII. My Uncle Edward "Munson" Trontel served in the US Army WWII. My Tata Rose's husband John Levstik served in WWI. I will have to remember to look at their headstone when I go home next time. He made it home to his wife and 7 children. To all my relatives who served, thank you. To those gone before us, rest in eternal peace.
To all those who lost their lives in Vietnam including my mom's cousin Hedwig's only son, James Turner USMC. She never smiled after his untimely death. James was the company file clerk. He went on maneuvers in place of a gentleman who had a young wife and child back in the states. James did not return. My nieces Karla and Holly, their late father Robert L. Hoffert, US Army served in Vietnam. Jesse Hoskins, the father of cousins Kristi and Sissy. Perished at a young age. He served in Vietnam and also was a police officer. His younger child Sissy, followed in his footsteps and currently serves in law enforcement. My late brother-in-law Gary C. Ricklefs, US Army. My big sister traveled the world with him during his military career and their first and last son were born in Germany.
My husband had several uncles serve in the US Army and US Navy. His cousin Carolynn Blackwell Simmons served as a nurse during Desert Storm. My friend Kathleen P. O'Gane served US Navy. Even my husband's youngest brother John served in the US Navy.

Lyrics
Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the chief"
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, no
Some folks are born silver spoon in hand
Lord, don't they help themselves, oh
But when the taxman comes to the door
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son, no
It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, no
Yeah, yeah
Some folks inherit star spangled eyes
Ooh, they send you down to war, Lord
And when you ask them, "How much should we give?"
Ooh, they only answer More! more! more! y'all
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no military son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, one
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no no no
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate son, no no no
Written by John C. Fogerty • Copyright © Universal Music Publishing Group, The Bicycle Music Company
Many Veteran's served us so well, others died while serving.  Please take a moment today to thank a Veteran, pray for those still serving us around the world and remember with dignity and respect, those who never came home. Please don't burn our cities down because what we need is people coming together not tearing each other down.

6 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I am not sure if my post went through. Anyway, I said you have a family legacy of service people. That is something to be proud of. Blessings- xo Diana

Linda said...

Such a lovely post, Anne, and a great tribute for this special day. Beautiful photos.

Sandee said...

I always enjoy your family posts. You're so knowledgeable about your family. Such work that takes. A lot of service folks in your family too. At one time it was look on with honor and in many places it isn't anymore. That is sad.

Have a fabulous day. Big hug. ♥♥♥

Summer said...

Sweet post ♥

Intense Guy said...

Beautiful post.

I salute the veterans in your family!

joyh82 said...

You have a lot of very dedicated people in your family history to the service.
I have a nephew serving in Iraq right now. He is a green beret.
Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Joy @ Books and Life