Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Touch of the Master's Hand By Myra Brooks Welch

 

 

"Touch of the Master’s Hand," by Myra Welsh

T’was battered and scarred, and the auctioneer
Thought it scarcely worth his while
To waste much time on the old violin,
But held it up with a smile.

"What am I bidden, good folks," he cried,
"Who’ll start the bidding for me?"
"A dollar, a dollar," then, two! Only two?
"Two dollars, and who’ll make it three?

"Three dollars, once; three dollars, twice;
Going for three . . . "But no,
From the room, far back, a grey haired man
Came forward and picked up the bow;

Then, wiping the dust from the old violin,
And tightening the loose strings,
He played a melody pure and sweet
As a caroling angel sings.

The music ceased, and the auctioneer,
With a voice that was quiet and low,
Said: "What am I bid for the old violin?"
And he held it up with the bow.

"A thousand dollars, and who’ll make it two?
Two thousand! And who’ll make it three?
Three thousand, once; three thousand, twice;
And going and gone," said he.

The people cheered, but some of them cried,
"We do not quite understand
What changed its worth?" Swift came the reply:
"The touch of a master’s hand."

And many a man with life out of tune,
And battered and scarred with sin,
Is auctioned cheap to the thoughtless crowd,
Much like the old violin.

A "mess of potage," a glass of wine;
A game, and he travels on.
He is "going" once, and "going" twice,
He’s "going" and almost "gone."

But the Master comes and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that’s wrought
By the touch of the Master’s hand.

 

Welcome to Spiritual Sundays. Please click on the button on my sidebar (right) and visit Charlotte and Ginger and thank them for hosting this uplifting Sunday post.

I think the poem says it all.


12 comments:

Gwendolen Elaine said...

Anne, that poem is beautiful!where do you find all these lovely poems?Hope everything is going well for you:)

Shugee @ Blue Heron Cottage said...

Anne, I so love your blog. Thanks for visiting me so I could find you. I love your pink saturday drinks and all the beauty on here and your humur and we share the love of so many of the same things. I'm off to read more.
Happy weekend to you.
Kim

Charlotte said...

I love this poem and was glad to read it again. It is so true. There is nothing like the touch of the Master's hand. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Charlotte

BonjourRomance said...

So beautiful Anne. I haven't heard it for a long time.
Good SUnday to you,
Mimi

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!!

Apron Senorita said...

Praise God dear sister, you are blessed by our Heavenly King. Your post is beautiful.

Yoli :)

Nikki (Sarah) said...

when I first came to know Him...someone showed me this poem. I kept it for a long time and everytime I read it I cried. His touch...the touch of the Master's hand...there is nothing that can equal that.

Chatty Crone said...

I have always loved that poem.

I sure hope you have a good Memorial day tomorrow. I sure am glad to be living in the USA and am thankful to all our soldiers.

sandie

Heart2Heart said...

Such a beautiful poem and it shows just how much things can be perceived until the true Master shows us all our own personal value and worth.

Happy Memorial Day!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

INSIDE THE SHRINK said...

That was so uplifting to read the song again. It always ministers to me and I needed it today. Thanks for sharing it and being a part of Spiritual Sundays. God bless you my sister.

Renee said...

What a lovely blog you have...This poem is wonderful. The touch of the Master's hand makes all things beautiful! God bless.

Joan Hall said...

Beautiful poem, Anne. God bless and I wish you a great Memorial Day.