Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Memorial Day Tribute: In Flanders Fields



In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

(Dr). Major John McCrae 
May 1915 World War I

This beautiful and touching poem was written nearly 100 years ago!

Because of the Memorial Day weekend and the honoring of those who have and who are serving us I felt compelled to write this post. Our current government, both Democrat and Republic are living high on the hog and lying, cheating and stealing from the American taxpayer. They have no regard for any of us and arrogantly sit back and smugly do whatever they please. 

Meanwhile all over the world our troops are losing their lives, risking their lives and struggling to make a better America. My heart is filled with prayer and peaceful calm for these military and their families all over the world.

I would like to extend my most sincere sympathy for the loss of Lee Rigby, the 25 year old soldier from the United Kingdom who was brutally murdered yesterday. My heartfelt condolences to his family in their time of grief and absolute horrific loss.

Did you know that the poppy flowers grows only in the absence of other flowers? It also only grows in soil that has been turned!  When Dr. John McCrae noticed the poppies growing between the grave markers in Flanders Fields, he wrote this timeless poem.

The poppy is known as the "Flower of Remembrance" and is worn in memory  of our Veterans. I  know that this is a custom practiced in Canada also. They wear the poppy flower on November 11th in honor of their countrys "Remembrance Day".

13 comments:

Buttercup said...

I memorized this poem in sixth grade. It was a favorite of my parents and they thought it was important I learn it. I am very grateful to them, because I still can recite it and remember its important lesson.

Terra said...

Powerful and moving poem and great to read it this Memorial Day weekend. Thank you.

TexWisGirl said...

poppies are so beautiful. i echo your sentiments for the military men and women who serve to protect us and all the families who endure loss for our benefit.

Ann said...

I adore orange poppies and I have NO luck growing them. The National WWI Museum is in Kansas City, Mo and it is the most informative, collected pieces of memorabilia anywhere. The is one section that is a glass floor and thousands of poppies are under your feet representing all the lost lives. Just amazing.
Ann

Denise said...

Such a beautiful post, bless you.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

this is such a wonderful post; a tribute to those we should never forget. I love the poem but only read it on Memorial weekend.

Susan said...

Hello Anne...My Mom used to recite that poem. It's a sad one, that's for sure.

My heart is with all the parents, especially mothers, who lost sons and daughters due to wars. There cannot be anything more devastating. Susan

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, Great post today. I love the poem, always have. AND--I love poppies..

Let's never forget all of those men and women in the armed services who do/did so much to keep us free. God Bless America.

You are so so so right about our corrupt government.

Hugs and Prayers for our country,
Betsy

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Not only is your own tribute to the fallen soldiers of our country inspiring so too is "In Flanders Fields."
My dear deceased Father fought in WWII- My grandfather in the Spanish American War. My Aunt an army nurse in Guam in WWII-All of these dear and courageous people are gone. They helped to keep our country safe and now look what has happened to our government. It is so shameful.
Thank you for this post-
Jemma

Tete said...

I so love this poem. My heart just breaks for the family of the young father and soldier killed on the streets of London. It breaks more for a world full of such evil and souls that feel that what they do is perfectly ok with their God. May we all be protected from them that wish us harm because we believe in the Jesus. Hugs!

RobinfromCA said...

I love this poem, it is one of my favorites. Thank you for reminding me.
Robin

Mevely317 said...

Thank you for reprinting this poem, Anne!
There's never a Memorial Day that
I don't remember my dad ... usually first in line to purchase poppies for himself, mother and me. In fact, I was just "telling" Carol (Buttercup) that if he and my mom were still alive, they'd be so disgusted by today's ambivalence and lack of honor.

Praying for Lee Rigby's family and friends ... and all who hold Freedom dear.

Jenny said...

This is beautiful, Anne.

It brought a tear to my eye.