Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2020

To My Dad

My dad was the greatest man I ever knew. He was kind, quiet, humble, smart and an excellent baseball player. Last week, when our older brother Bill was hospitalized I spent some time on the phone with my brother Ed. He told me the "real story" about the baseball dad had signed by Babe Ruth. Our dad was a catcher and played for a semi pro team in our hometown. In 1938 they played in a exhibition game at Runyon Field. Dad caught behind the plate while Babe Ruth was up to bat. After the game Dad approached Babe Ruth and asked him to sign the game ball. The Babe ignored him and started a conversation with some other people. Dad did not like rudeness. In fact, we were all well behaved in the household I grew up with. So dad tapped Babe Ruth on the shoulder and said something like while you were enjoying playing the game, I was sweating my butt off behind that plate. Now sign the ball! Dad had that ball signed.
A favorite old photo of myself with mom and dad. Today marks 35 years years that dad was called home to Heaven. I never stop thinking about him or mom. They were everything to me.
My folks with my nephew Brian about 1970.
My dad loved all the children. He was a remarkable man and I will always miss him until I Meet him again.
Wise words for the future. One day we will meet our loved ones again.  "One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters." George Herbert, Outlandish Proverbs ,1640

5 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

Hugs as you remember your special Dad. We enjoyed the baseball story, very special. Stay safe, healthy and virus-free.

Theresa said...

What wonderful memories of your Dad. Love the Babe Ruth story! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Edna B said...

What a wonderful story of your Dad and the Babe. You stay safe and have a
wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Mevely317 said...

What a nasty man, Babe Ruth. Love how your daddy handled that situation.
Loved these pictures, especially you with your parents. Are my eyes deceiving me, or is Hannah your mini-me?

pilch92 said...

Very nice tribute to your Dad. XO