Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

ALPHABE- THURSDAY G IS FOR GORGE

 Welcome to Alphabet Thursday! I want to thank our host Jenny over at Jenny Matlock for hosting these educational and fun Alphabet Thursdays! Thanks Jenny, you are the best!
Main Entry: 1gorge
Pronunciation: \ˈgrj\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin gurga, alteration of gurges, from Latin, whirlpool — more at voracious
Date: 14th century
1 : throat —often used with rise to indicate revulsion accompanied by a sensation of constriction
2 a : a hawk's crop b : stomach, belly
3 : the entrance into an outwork (as a bastion) of a fort
4 : a narrow passage through land; especially : a narrow steep-walled canyon or part of a canyon
5 : a primitive device used instead of a fishhook that consists of an object (as a piece of bone attached in the middle of a line) easy to swallow but difficult to eject
6 : a mass choking a passage
7 : the line on the front of a coat or
jacket formed by the crease of the lapel and collar

I know, I know, I am probably boring some of you but I love the dictionary. I love looking up words that are unfamiliar to me. So today,on my second Alphabet Thursday I have a "G" word for you! It is gorge as in the Royal Gorge, a wonderful tourist attraction in my state but an absolutely breathtaking and beautiful natural wonder. According to my friend Mr. Webster the Royal Gorge is listed in the dictionary as a geographical name! I am so glad I joined this fun & educational Thursday. I am not very good at linking up or using any url link to other blogs but I think McLinky and I are darn compatible! So please ignore my shortcomings and enjoy this wonderful blog program.

I am a native of Colorado and very proud to live and work here. We are surrounded by beautiful mountain ranges and lots of wonderful recreational  areas. I live in the Denver Metro area in a suburban called Northglenn. We have the most walking trails in the North area. It is a very nice place to live. But Denver as a whole has some wonderful arts and museums and lots of wonderful fine dining as well as many types of activities for just about anyone.

If you travel to Colorado and  visit the Royal Gorge you will be mesmerized by the beauty of it. The Royal Gorge is located in Canon City , Colorado which also houses  some of the most notorious criminals at the Super Max prison.  But the beauty surrounding this town is spectacular and the Royal Gorge is probably the largest attraction there. It was discovered by Zebulon Pike in 1806. It cost $350,000 to build and at today's cost a mere $20 million. It can hold in excess of  2 million pounds. Construction started on June 5, 1929 and was completed in six months in November of the same year.. It is often called the Grand Canyon of the Arkansas. The Royal Gorge has the worlds steepest  incline railway (45 degree angle). It is the highest suspension bridge in the world at 1053 feet (321 meters). The length is 1260 feet (321 meters) and 18 feet wide (5 meters). It is a wonderful place to visit so if you come to Colorado please visit the Royal Gorge.

Don't forget to check the various meanings I listed along with my friend Mr. Webster for the word gorge.

I hope you enjoyed  my "G" word for today!




11 comments:

laterg8r said...

very cool g word TFS :D

Jenny said...

I love the dictionary, too!

Have you been playing the Word Nerd came over at Pioneer Womans? She gives away great prizes...although I never win...someday...oneday perhaps.

This was a G ravitatingly G reat post.

Sorry. I think that first G word might be nonsense!

A+

Al Ballard said...

Dear Annesphamily,

Please consider The Canon City Queen Anne Tea House as an attraction, the next time you visit the Canon City area.
We serve Afternoon/Lunch Teas and High/5 course Dinner Teas, Tues-Sat., in a 1889 victorian structure. More at www.thecanoncityqueenanne.com; blog at http://teahousefinediningcolorado.com/
Best Regards,
Al, Linda Ballard

Heart2Heart said...

I would probably pass on visiting this since I am afraid of heights. I would drive over it but with my hands over my closed eyes.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Jo said...

well that just looks very cool! scary ... but cool!

Amy said...

Not bored at all! Love to learn something new!!

Betty said...

Thank you for the informative G post. I would love to visit someday.

Viki said...

I've never been to Colorado but if I do, I will certainly go there. It looks like a beautiful place.

Unknown said...

I would love to visit your beautiful Gorge! it would make a good road trip!!!!

Steph said...

I love words too. It's amazing to think of the human and natural, Creative engineering involved in the Royal Gorge.

Unknown said...

Gorge! That was a clever choice of G-word. A little geography-lesson doesn't hurt.
Best wishes,
Anna