Pages

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

BOJON LADIES AND COOKING

If you want to cook some authentic sLOVEnian food get this cookbook. My mom's friend Frances Simonich was the cookbook lady and when I was working at my first job I remember walking over to her house with my money in hand to purchase a copy of this coveted book. Just a head's up, if you are PC you might be offended by a recipe in there!
My photo would not come up and I think some of these sites where you can order photo copies steal your stuff! Just my thought. So here is my copy of a copy of a photo! LOL! These are some mighty fine Bojon ladies including from left to right- Ang Zupancic, Cecilia Kocman, Rose Jesik,  Ang Mikatich, Ang Steblay and Annie Wodishek. These ladies cooked up a storm at all the KSKJ Lodge Number 7 functions. Auntie Ang always made those wonderful aprons and their outfits. I wish I had those from my mother. Sigh! I have another photo somewhere and they are dressed in red. I know Auntie Ang chose that red color because it was always her favorite. As a child I loved to watch her apply make up. She wore the deepest and brightest ruby red lipstick. When I got older I learned that women who wear red are power players! That was Auntie Ang until that damn cancer cut her down. Her nails matched her lip color and she made almost all of her own clothes. She was a real classy lady! She loved to read those trashy romance novels while Uncle read all the classics and knew Colorado History better than anyone I ever knew! Good memories...
Tarragon strukli (cottage cheese dumplings) with their particular aroma are typical dish of Slovenian gastronomy. First recorded recipe is from 1589.
Food in Slovenia - Slovenian Food, Slovenian Cuisine - traditional, popular, dishes, recipe, diet, history, common, meals, staple, main, people, make, customs, country, bread, vegetables, bread, drink, typical.


Golaz (Goulash)

Ingredients

  • 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 pounds beef stew meat
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons tomato paste or ketchup
  • 2 Tablespoons paprika
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • ⅓ cup water
  • 3 Tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups cooked egg noodles

Procedure

  1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the beef and cook until sides are browned.
  2. Add beef broth, onion, tomato paste or ketchup, paprika, salt, and pepper.
  3. In a bowl, mix the water and flour, stirring to remove lumps. Stir the flour mixture into the pot with a wooden spoon.
  4. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 to 1½ hours, or until meat is tender; stir occasionally.
  5. Serve over hot noodles.
Makes 5 to 6 servings.
Breads and potatoes are the staple foods of Slovenia. Potica (po-TEET-sa) is the most common type of pastry—a nut roll wrapped around a variety of fillings, such as walnuts, hazelnuts, or raisins. Potatoes are served boiled, sautéed, deep-fried, or roasted. They are used in such dishes as fruit dumplings, soups, and stews, such as jota(a hearty meat and vegetable stew). Mushrooms are a large part of Slovene cuisine, and picking wild mushrooms has become a popular occupation. In fact, the government had to pass a law limiting the amount of mushrooms picked to keep some species from becoming extinct.

So now I guess I know why I love mushrooms so much to cook with! HaHaHa!

My friends at pinterest have helped tremendously. Here is a traditional sLOVEnian garment.  I am excited because cousin Kay is heading to our homeland this summer. I look forward to her stories and her finds. She and I have been working hard piecing some phamily facts together. Kay is awesome and she does her homework well! Thank you Kay. You are a blessing to me.
My parents with two of their five children. My mother was a great cook and Sunday always was a home cooked meal. She made pot roast or fried chicken. I love and miss those days. Cousin Mike D said his grandpa Moon had quite the snappy wardrobe. I am noticing a lot of photos of my dad and mom both and they always looked so polished and handsome and pretty. I am going to blog about a couple Bojon weddings very soon. I have a wonderful photo of Auntie Anna Skender when she married Uncle Johnny. I also have the sweetest picture of Auntie Steffie and Uncle Art. If anyone else has photos of the weddings of Auntie Mima, Auntie Gela or Auntie Millie I am eager to share them here. You really need to brag about your people because we are one of a kind and the most awesome Bojon people ever! Thank you to cousin Jeannie Litherland for adding color to some of the photos I have shared. She also can weave a wonderful story and I am still chuckling about Auntie Millie and Jeannie spending the night together and Jeannie being afraid of the basement at Grandpa and Grandma Kocman's home. Auntie Millie was a straight shooter. She told Jeannie to shut up and go to sleep. Jeannie wondered what the heck would happen if they died. Auntie told her, no one ever died from sleep! 

 To everyone that helps me out here. I love each one of you and appreciate all your help. To my amazing Pennsylvania buddy Karl, thank you for always finding that piece of the puzzle I missed! Without you I never would have gotten a copy of that baseball photo of my dad and his buddies. Without your help I never would have filled in so many blanks. Please keep helping me along. While you have the technical skills, I  am able to put the words to the paper so to speak! Please visit the blog Intense Guy. Karl, you are very much like Uncle Louie. History is easy for you and your shares of your phamily and their journey has always made me smile. My phamily appreciates all your kindnesses here. Thank you.

My sissy is always filling in blanks for me too! She is so amazing and tells me some of the best stories and she gave me her permission to use them here.  Plus she was the cutest baby ever! Holly, my beautiful niece, thank you for your photo shares of your terrific kids.  I am blessed with so many great relatives offering their help and I appreciate each one of you. Keep coming back for more. Together we will make this journey filled with the best  memories ever!
 lahko noč

4 comments:

Denise said...

will be trying the recipe, thanks.

Intense Guy said...

Blushes. You are quite welcome - your family and their history is fascinating - I'm pleased to be able to help in a small way.

Its time for brunch here - some of those recipes made me hungry!

Leovi said...

Beautiful pictures, wonderful place, beautiful Ljubljana !!

Jenny said...

I always love reading about your family Anne.

You are a fascinating bunch!