Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy Father's Day To Some Men Who Made Me Smile

This was a tough post for me. In these three photos are my late father, my favorite Uncle Louie and my father-in-law.

These are three men who valued the phamily. My father was the most kind and humble man you ever wanted to meet. He raised five children with my mother and he worked as a steel worker for forty seven years. He loved my mother in a way I could only dream I would be loved someday by a man. It is on Father's Day when I miss him peeking around the corner to see if he had a gift on the table although he always claimed he really didn't want gifts! I only learned to read in the Book of James because my father so often quoted from it. I miss him when I watch baseball because no body knew the sport like my dad. But today I know my father is safe in the arms of Our Almighty Father and that makes me smile.

Uncle Louie knew every ounce of Colorado history like the rest of us know the back of our own hand. He was a railroader. Although he and my favorite Auntie Ang never had children of their own they loved all the nieces and nephews as if we belonged to them. My uncle knew how to fly an airplane and he was an intelligent man that cared for my phamily very much. I always miss him today. I learned phrases like "That light isn't going to get an greener M O R A N !  My favorite was, you yellow bellied sap sucker, get moving. That light won't stay green forever!  He was an impatient driver.It irritated my dad that we learned some choice phrases like that from Uncle but my uncle was a good egg. He loved rhubarb pie and my homemade Belgian waffles. I miss him a lot today.

My late father-in-law is the one and the only Robi man, other than my own husband, who welcomed me into the phamily with open arms. He was a Navy man and he raised four children with my MIL. He had a knack for silliness and my children learned many silly songs from Grandpa Carl. He loved the Lord with a passion and he would talk with me for hours about the bible.  He was always cool and collected and he stuck up for me always. He once cared for me for an entire week while I was recuperating from brain surgery. My own father had fallen ill and my mother was tending to him. My FIL stayed with me, cooked and cleaned for me and helped me with my two younger children while my hubby went back to work.

I wish I had a photo of myself with my late parental grandfather. He was a man I admired even though I was a young child when I lost him. I believe my father got the wonderful values he raised us with from his own father.

Some appropriate quotes for these awesome men I was blessed to have in my life.

"A wise son maketh a glad father." Proverbs 10:1

"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother." Henry Ward Beecher

"My father use to play in the yard with me and my brother.Mother would come out and say"Your tearing up the grass.;" We're not raising grass my dad would reply, we're raising boys." Harmon Killebrew

"I can not think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection." Sigmund Freud

If you missed the first Father's Day post please go back one post to read it. Thanks

13 comments:

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

A lovely post. Thank you for sharing.

^_^

Terra said...

I love your stories of how these good men nurtured you, and the quotes at the end are perfect. "We're not raising grass, we're raising boys". Well said. Like you I have long been surrounded by good men.

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

That is a great post for fathers day. I hope your rosebush survived the days heat on your older post. Have a great day. Julian

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

That is a great post for fathers day. I hope your rosebush survived the days heat on your older post. Have a great day. Julian

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

A beautiful tribute to these wonderful men in your life! Such sweet memories!
I had to laugh at your Uncle's impatient driving and his quotes when he would be on the road :o)

Who is the baby in the photos?
Blessings & Aloha!

I'm heading back to your other Father's day post...

jeff campbell said...

What a wonderful, heartfelt post...very nice, and I am certain appreciated by each of the aforementioned fellows...Peace and blessings

Annesphamily said...

The baby is my oldest son and the little girl my oldest daughter. Thanks everyone for stopping by!

Dogmom Diva said...

Hi Anne, oh I have such a wonderful advantage as I knew your dad and Uncle Louie..both great men..so THAT is where you leaned to 'chat' like that while driving LOL! I can still see Uncle and Auntie's house, and of course the vision I have of your dad and mom's home is vivid still!
Great men, all of them..Your dad was such a teddy bear, but he wanted everyone to think he was so gruff! loved that man too!

hugs
Barb

1 Funky Woman said...

This is so touching and so beautiful that you wanted to share it with all of us! You are so lucky to have been and continue to be surrounded by such good men!

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know I am an inspiration. Have fun going through all those magazines!

Megan

Anonymous said...

A great tribute to important men in your life! Happy Father's Day.

Intense Guy said...

This is a wonderful post! Somehow, I suspect they are looking at you today and smiling -

:)

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Aww...this was a lovely post and I teared up a little bit reading the loving tributes!!! My dad is a great father...very kind, loving, always an encouraging word from the Bible. His grandfather was a similar type of man as well. Greetings from Oregon, Heather :)

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Such a wonderful tribute to some incredible men! Thanks for sharing!

Just a quick reminder ~ the WEDDING BLOG PARTY is coming up this Friday, June 25th! Hope to see you there! It just wouldn't be a party without you! :0)

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents