Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

WHAT WHY WHERE WHEN WHO AND HOW

"I Keep Six Honest Serving Men..." By Rudyard Kipling

I keep six honest serving men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.
I send them over land and sea,
I send them East and West;
But after they have worked for me,
I give them all a rest.

I let them rest from nine til five.
For I am busy then,
As well as breakfast,lunch and tea,
For they are hungry men.
But different folks have different views;
I know a person small-
She keeps ten million serving men,
Who get no rest at all!
She sends 'em abroad on her own affairs.
From the second she opens her eyes-
One million Hows, two million Where's
And seven million Why's.

The Elephants Child

I was debating on this post! I thought of "W" our former president and how terribly fond I was of his animated way of talking to us. I wanted to re do my wedding vows but I will save that for a different post. "Water World" and "Pirates Cove",  refreshingly wonderful water parks locally and I even thought about the evil weeds that want to overtake my little flower garden!  I even thought about "Wash Day" although I wash laundry every day! Then there was "Winning". Gosh, I was not sure my Rockies were going to send Boston away with another loss in my home town baseball frenzy tonight! We were rooting for Ubaldo to win big tonight (he was under the weather) and he struggled thinking he was going home win less tonight! But thank goodness winning prevailed!

Instead I decided to post a favorite poem by Kipling and hopefully catch some of you that have not seen my post about this poem previously. Parents of young children should read this poem to their kids and remember you will have a lifetime of these wonderful words to encourage and educate your children throughout their lives with the wonders of What, Why, Where, When, Who and the odd one out How!

Please visit our favorite teacher Mrs. Matlock at jennymatlock.blogspot.com and thank her for hosting this wacky, wonderful and  worthy post!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

i had completely forgotten about this poem...i was smiling broadly as i read it to hubster. thank you for bringing forward in my mind a wonderful poem of great value.

A 2 Z said...

Hiya!

Thanks for sharing the beautiful W post. Its really a classic. I also want to thank you for the lovely comment you left on my blog.

Anne-Marie :D

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed this poem. If my little guy would move from the No stage to the Why, it would be wonderful.

Betty said...

Thanks for sharing that wonderful poem.

Cheryl said...

I'd never read that before. What a wonderful poem to read for the very first time.

Parsley said...

I really enjoyed the poem. Hope you are doing well, Anne. I've used my teapot a couple of times already and think of you.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Never read. Thank you.

Intense Guy said...

What a Wonderful and Witty thing to Dubyas!

Heart2Heart said...

What a great poem to keep it all in perspective. Thanks for sharing this with all of us stopping by to visit today.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness I remember that poem from school ( along time ago). Great poem. sandie

laterg8r said...

i'd never heard this before, tfs :D

Jenny said...

Oh my. I had forgotten that poem. What a charming stop today and a wonderful memory from reading it.

Thank you for linking up to Alphabe-Thursday each week. You make this meme so special by your participation!

A+

Jamie said...

That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing, it's always good to remind myself I want these little (and not so little) ones to ask why? and wonder as they go through life.

Viki said...

I have never read this poem. Thanks for sharing it. It was great. Good W post.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

cute poem!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

A great poem...That is so true...some of us have a few good men and some of us have an army full! :o)
hm...questions, questions, questions...I tend to have quite a number of them!

Blessings & Aloha!

Christy said...

When we homeschooled this is one of the poems we memorized. I love it! Great W post.