Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Elmer and Oliver

Hello and good evening! Please visit Angela and join in the fun! We post great animal tails! Come join the fun!

I don't have any photos of my childhood birds but Elmer and Oliver were two sweet singing canary birds that my folks had. I grew up with those two birds and Elmer lived a long life. He was still around when I was married the first couple years and my kitten "Rascal" tried to have him for a snack! Ah...another story for another time.

But these birds were very delightful. They sang so beautifully and my father would often sit at the kitchen table and encourage them. They loved to listen to the radio and they were always singing. They were in separate cages and my mother lovingly covered them each night and uncovered them each morning.

Canaries were named for the Canary Island and the domestic house bird can live ten years. Elmer was the exception to the rule as he lived about 17 years!  They are relatively easy to care for but I do suggest you don't mix these sweet singers with house cats! Baaad combination!

I am generally not very fond of birds but I did love Elmer and Oliver.My sister owned a parakeet and once as she was styling my long hair into French curls her bird decided to nest there! he flew into my hair full speed apparently thinking it was a new nest! Since that time I have had a great fear of birds that roam freely in houses!

Here are a couple google images of canaries.

8 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Birds are pretty I admit - but aren't they work to clean up after? My grandma used to feed them grapes!

sandie

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

this was a cute story and I did have to laught at the bit about not letting house cats and house birds mix...definitely a bad combination. My grandfather had parakeets when I was little...I think...He had some sort of cute little bird that chirped really cute!!!! That sound was always very comforting to me!!!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

ClassyChassy said...

My canary sings so pretty - he is about 7 years old now. This is the first year that he has insisted on bathing, which is a surprise to me because he has refused when offered a container to wash up in! He now will "beep!" and dance around on the cage floor until I bring his bathtub! They are cute little fellas!

Intense Guy said...

:)

Pretty birdies.

My mom would never go for birds... she always put birdfeeders and houses outside - and fed them all winter long though.

Anonymous said...

Anne,

I can't believe Elmer lived til he was 17! I had no idea they could live that long. I love to watch all the birds that visit our property but do not have one as a pet.

Thank you for sharing.

Deborah

Rose said...

i can't imagine a bird living 17 years. i guess good diet and family kept birdie going. Rose

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

lovely bird.
sweet orange images.

Angela said...

Hey Anne, I'm sorry I didn't get to see your post on Tuesday. We went away for a few days and just got home today so I'm playing catch up. I don't like to tell on my blog when I'm away. I hope you understand.

I love the story about your birds. I never had a bird before but they sure are interesting and beautiful to look at. Your mom must had taken really good care of him to live that long.

Tuesdays' Show & Tail!
Angela