Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

MY DADDY

My daddy was the greatest man I ever knew. He was a terrific father. He was a wonderful husband to my mother and he cared for us with such love and kindness that I always dreamed of finding a man with qualities like his.
I am writing this post because my dad would have had a birthday July 23rd. It is also my hubby's birthday. But my hubby lost his mom on his birthday so now I have three reasons to always remember July 23rd. I had planned to post about my dad but life happened and my plans changed.
So today I honor my father. He was an incredible man. He raised five children with my mother and he worked very hard all his life. He was a steel worker. He worked for 47 years in the Rail Mill as a head roller. He worked under awful conditions with the temperature being nearly unbearable but he worked hard and cared for us with love and kindness.
When he was a younger man and my two older siblings were small toddlers my dad played semi pro ball. He was a catcher and he once had the incredible opportunity to catch behind the plate when Babe Ruth came up to bat. He had an autographed baseball from Babe Ruth and I am not sure where it went after his passing. My dad was a life long NY Yankees fan and I got my love of baseball from him. There was absolutely nothing about the game of baseball that he couldn't talk to anyone about.
I miss my dad terribly when I watch baseball. Last night my sister and I sat on the phone talking for the last hour of the Rockies game against the Pirates. It makes me smile when I think about it because she loves the game and the Yankees like I do. We both followed in our dad's footsteps.
Today I just want to say I miss you dad and I love you and I will never forget you.

5 comments:

Rose said...

your story about your Dad was touching. My father was also a retired steel mill worker. There' s prde inyour blog about your Dad. i feel the same way about my Dad.

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

What a precious post about your dad. He must have been a wonderful man. I still miss mine terribly, too, every day. We will always hold them in our heart til we see them again one day.

Big TX hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Dogmom Diva said...

Anne, I feel honored to say that I knew your dad. To someone just meeting him, one would think he was scary (to a teenager all dads are scary) but he was not at all, just a kind teddy bear..I loved your dad too, and your mom was awesome..Oh those pastries!
I am so glad you have such wonderful memories..
B.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

This is so sweet, Anne!!! You honor and still love your dad even now :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Intense Guy said...

This is my most favorite kind of blog posting... a tribute to someone special.

:)

Thank you - for sharing him with us.