Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

Have You Ever Seen a pink fire truck?

Yesterday the North Suburban Hospital campus hosted the Breast Cancer Awareness pink fire truck that goes around the country to show off the stainless steel ribbon representing the breast cancer awareness program. The fire fighters and their truck are all dressed in pink! it is an incredible sight to see. Unfortunately I did not have my camera as it is on vacation in Las Vegas with my older son. So I am showing you a few pictures from their website. They  travel all over the country promoting breast cancer awareness. Having lost my favorite aunt Ang from the disease I decided I would post this for Pink Saturday in memory of her. She would have celebrated another birthday on August 19th and it was interesting that the hospital had the pink fire truck on their campus on this day. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and these firefighters are asking all firefighters across the country to wear pink on October 25-26-27. .
I wanted to post this today because I have not posted my aunt Ang's birthday and she was a remarkable woman. She married in 1946 when she was 32 years old. She and my uncle never had children but they treated all of my siblings,cousins and myself as if we were their very own kids. She was a snappy dresser making most of her own clothes and wearing her hair in a big bouffant.. She was an incredible role model. When she got sick I think it was then that I noticed how the elderly have such little value in this world. It is all about the youthful appearances and old folks are kicked to the curb. If I had been in the financial situation I would have brought her to Denver and looked for other treatment options. She was my shopping buddy and we ate out all the time! She was a very cool lady and she served dinner to my uncle on her gorgeous fiest ware! He would not eat from a cold plate and I loved watching her heat those dinner plates in the oven before they sat down to a wonderful home cooked meal. I could talk about her forever. She was one of the many role models I grew up with, strong willed women with courage and strength that is rare today.
I dedicate this post to my beautiful auntie who suffered so terribly for this awful disease. On a brighter note my father's mother and two sisters all survived breast cancer in the 1940s and 1950s. How did that happen!? They all lived long full lives. I am just puzzled by it all.
So today please reach out to the Breast Cancer Awareness campaign. Wear some pink on October 25-26-27. Bake a pink cake! Spread the word and love those close to you without question.
Please thank Beverly at her site for hosting out Our Saturday posts. Then stop by and visit these pinkies, Elaine at her terrific blog. Elaine is one of the sweetest pinkies you will ever meet. She reaches out and welcomes us into this circle of pink friendship. Her family photos and brand new great grandbaby are just delightful. She writes beautifully and posts some wonderful things here including a fun giveaway. Please say hello to her. Then stop by to visit a new pinkie Lynn, she has a fun blog and loves cross stiching something I only know about and have the utmost respect for. I am crafty clueless for these intricate details and you will enjoy the visit to Lynn's place. She is a fun lady. Please say hello today.

My pink photos are here along with Auntie Ang smack in the middle of the KSKJ Catholic Lodge ladies who served up the best meals ever for our lodge dinner. She made the outfits the ladies are wearing and she is the one in the cute red diagonal apron. My sweet momma is on your far right.

26 comments:

Dogmom Diva said...

Great post, have never seen a pink fire truck, very cool..I have been very lucky to not have been touched personally with breast cancer in our family but we do have close friends who have had it..
Your Auntie Ang was such a hoot..I can still see her and your Uncle Louie in their little house..you were so lucky to grow up with amazing role models! And you have carried that on to your own family..
thanks for sharing!
hugs
B.

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

what a nice post, I loved reading about your aunt. Now I can not say that I've never seen a pink fire truck!
Happy Pink Saturday!

Jane said...

Great post! I'm sure that you do miss your aunt very much - its hard to lose someone that we love so much. Here's praying that I will see a cure for all types of cancer in my lifetime!

Jane

Jane said...

Great post! I'm sure that you do miss your aunt very much - its hard to lose someone that we love so much. Here's praying that I will see a cure for all types of cancer in my lifetime!

Jane

Jacalyn @ rmebathproducts.com said...

Your aunt sounds like a remarkable woman! Who knew there were pink firetrucks? Very cool!

Happy PS,
Jacalyn

Abramyan Avenue said...

oh my goodness!! look at that pink firetruck! my maternal grandmother passed away with breast cancer. so i'm always so happy to see people active in the fight against cancer!! thank you for sharing these photos!
-apirl r.

Candi said...

What a lovely tribute to your Aunt. I had an Aunt Jo that she reminded me of. I still miss her, she passed at 94. Hugz:)

Mary Bergfeld said...

It is so hard to lose a love one to this terrible disease. Your tribute to your aunt would have pleased her greatly. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Gail said...

Beautiful tribute to your Aunt.
Happy PS

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Happy Pink Saturday Anne Sweetie...
What a beautiful post and such a wonderful tribute to your precious Aunt Ang. What beautiful memories you have shared today, I so enjoyed reading them. I can just see your sweet Uncle sitting at the table waiting for his dinner to come on his heated plate, and then to be served on Fiestaware. Oh how beautiful Anne.
I can so see it in my mind.

Love the fire truck and the fireman in their pink uniforms. How wonderful for them to do this to promote Breast Cancer Awareness. I love it. Thank you for sharing with me today. As always I had such a beautiful visit. If we only had time for tea.

Love you sweet friend. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

BonjourRomance said...

Yuor Aunt Anne sounds like a lovely lady. SHe would be pleased with this trubute and the pink firetrucks. What a great way to get the message out.
Hope all is well with you, sorry I have not been by to visit as I should. Getting back on schedule again.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Mimi

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

What a sweet tribute to your Aunt.
I think cancer has touched the lives of most of us and hopefully one day there will be a cure. In the meantime it is wonderful what organizations are doing to promote awareness.
Love the firemen in pink and the pink truck.

Happy Pink Saturday sweetie.

hugs
Sissie

viridian said...

Pink firetruck! How amazing. thank you for visiting my blog.

Fifi Flowers said...

PINK fire truck cool!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

What a wonderful tribute to Auntie, i would love to see that truck in person....with all the hunky men on it to!!

Carol

D. Jean Quarles said...

Lovely tribute. Happy belated pink day.

Diann said...

What a wonderful post about your Aunt! And you are right, I have never seen a pink fire engine until now!

Have a wonderful day!

Claudia said...

Such a terrible disease, isn't it? Thank you for the wonderful post and I love that pink fire truck!

xo
Claudia

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

This was beautiful...your Auntie Ang sounds like a lady I would have really enjoyed getting to know!!! That pink firetruck is too cool...My grandfather was a fire fighter for decades...and he'd get a kick out of this too...and he'd love the thought behind the color pink, too!!! Have a lovely week, Anne :) :) Oh, your gift was so lovely...THANK YOU...My dad says "thank you" too. He's impressed that a stranger sent me something so nice :) :) You're not a stranger, but you know what I mean :) :) Have a lovely week. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

It's too funny seeing those guys in pink!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved your blog post.

The fire truck is awesome!

Char said...

Oh, I would have loved to meet your Aunt. She sounds like a wonderful person.
I just love a guy in a pink truck!!! Heros for sure, Happy Pink Saturday, Char

Anonymous said...

Auntie Ang was one of a kind, that's for sure! She definitely told it like she saw it! That's a beautiful tribute Anne and thank you for sharing those old pictures. I always love to look at them and remember how things were when we were little. --Rob

Unknown said...

Hi Anne!

That pink fire truck is awesome! Thanks so much for visiting my blog just now---I really appreciate your interest!

Have a wonderful night!

Sarah

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Great post! Cute pink fire truck too, and I'd never seen one before. My sister in laws Mom died of breast cancer a few years back. I think it's great that so much awareness is being raised about this.

Thanks for the great post!

Nancy

Intense Guy said...

Cancer... I can only hope and pray that they find a cure someday and soon.

I've lost way too much and too many to it.