Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

GREEN CHILI IS GREEN IN MY RAINBOW

I can feel autumn in the air. Sooner than later the air will become cool and crisp and fall will be in full swing. I hope you will all stop by the teacher's place and link your post for Green is the Color in this weeks Summer School rainbow!  Please go here to thank the teacher for her hosting this fun summer school activity.

I think green is for green chili! We go to our hometown of Pueblo and we buy a bushel or two of green chilies already roasted. Then we go home and peel and bag them and toss them int he freezer. All winter long we have lots of delicious green chili. When I was a kid my mother would take a handful of mild green chilies and tossed them in a pan with a little oil and garlic salt. Then we would eat those chilies on a thick slab of fresh homemade bread! It was a wonderful meal and I always love it.

My hubby likes to make green chili but he never thinks it is good enough. I have a friend, Sharon, who will buy a pork roast and give it to him. He will cook that roast and shred the meat and make her a big batch of green chili. We like to eat green chili over rice or mashed potatoes. We make burritos and we eat it with my mom's famous chicken and rice dish! Green chili is so wonderful and healthful. It is chock full of good stuff likes vitamins and capsaicin which is a natural analgesic that is safe and  effective in treating symptoms of arthiritis, herpes zoster-related pain, diabetic neuropathy, postmastectomy pain and headaches. Capsaicin  extracted from chilies  is used in a spray as a less-lethal weapon in plant spraying. Several years ago a medical was done showing that Hispanic women have a lower incident of breast cancer and it was attributed to their diet. When our last child was born the anesthesiologist said to us "People spends thousands of dollars trying to have children and I understand you eat green chilies! " It is true, it worked as  a wonderful fertility drug! Smile!
Once I get my camera back from my sons Vegas vacation I will take pictures of the hubby cooking with green chili! So until then here are some chili photos to show you. Before I sign off please visit Betty here and check out her Green Beret post. It is beautiful.

19 comments:

Dogmom Diva said...

Oh I love green chiles, too..YUM! Would love your recipe for green chili girl..I am sooo ready for fall and soups, stews, etc..

hugs
Barb

Mary said...

I love the idea of the chilis with oil & garlic salt on homemade bread..yum!

Jane said...

This sounds wonderful! I am looking forward to fall as well!

Jane

Unknown said...

Wow, I never knew that green chili was that healthy for you! I wish I could eat chili but I can't handle spicy foods...my taste buds just can't handle it. My husband would love it though :)

Unknown said...

I love all the chiles pictured. I need to learn to do a better job of cooking with them.

Thanks for stopping by.

Pat MacKenzie said...

Being a northerner (Canada), chilies have never played a prominent part in my diet. Maybe I'm missing something?

Chatty Crone said...

Okay looks delish - but I have an extremely senitive stomach. :( I have to watch what I eat. sandie

Lola said...

Love all those chilis too - though I too have to watch what I eat! Looks yummy! Great post!

Happy AlphabeThursday Green,

LOLA:)

PS My AlphabeThursday Green is posted if you can join me… HERE!

Tina said...

We love green chili, too. Well, we're fans of all kinds of peppers, too and grow them in our garden every year. Does hubby share his recipe?

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I love all the photos. I also love chili, any time of the year.

Heather said...

mmmm, chilli!!!!

Intense Guy said...

Beautiful pictures you have for this entry.

I always enjoy the bright colors - but don't eat many chili's or peppers...

Unknown said...

this sounds divine!

Cheryl said...

This was a fabulous look at a vegetable we don't see much in the NE. The photos are enticing. I love all types of chilis. The hotter the better.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting post. The only thing I use my chilies for is salsa. I might have to get more creative!

Teresa

Debbiedoos said...

I love Fall, just talking about it makes me smile. Love your pictures they where a great green pictorial.

Rose said...

i love some items, but how hot are these chilies ?

Christi S said...

My hubby loves green chiles, they're a little too hot for my taste! Great green post!

Jenny said...

Oh, I love green chili stew! I have a good crockpot recipe that I use all the time.

Sometimes when I get my hands on a lot of green chilis I make a chorizo/cream cheese filling, parboil the chilis and then cook them on the grill. Oh my.

Thanks for a delicious link to Rainbow Summer School.

I loved the Green Beret post, too.

A+